Revision as of 16:32, 12 February 2019 by John.stechschulte (Set out to update links, but then I rewrote the page)
The Tormek is an incredibly capable sharpening tool and unlike grinding on a high speed grinder, it will protect the metal hardness of the cutting tool while restoring a damaged or dull blade. The jigs will insure proper angles on a blade.
This is not a standard grinder. It is a low speed water grinder. The stone wheel can be have an effective 220 or 1000 grit surface. Read the manual for more information. (Manual is accessible to members. Be sure to use your tinkermill.org Google account.)
Before using the tool, understand these rules:
- Never operate the tool without water.
- Read the manual before operation.
- Suggested: talk to someone who has used it before for a quick hands-on demonstration, about 10 minutes.
More information. These resources do not replace reading the manual!
- The T-8 product page highlights the features of the Tormek model that TinkerMill has. There is also an overview video.
- This YouTube video provides a very thorough introduction to the tool.
- Overview of the different jigs. There is more info about each jig on its respective page. In particular, the SE-76 Square Edge Jig is of interest.
- YouTube video about sharpening chisels.